Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 16:11:06 EDT
In a message dated 10/5/02 6:58:19 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Thus DIT is useful not only as a way
>
>>to prevent obesity, but to insure that we get  necessary nutrients.  Here's
>
>>the suprize: He claims that "For humans, when the diet is made up of 12%
>
>>protein, DIT is minimal (for rats it's 20%). Below these values, DIT
>
>>increases steadily. Above these values, heat production also increases,
>but
>
>>as by-product of the digestion of high protein diets; this is not DIT,
>but it
>
>>is wasteful.
>

>But "wasteful" is what we want, isn't it?  It means that we have to do
>
>more metabolic work to digest the food, which in effect raises the
>
>metabolic rate.

Amadeus,

Yes, protein will produce more heat to digest and is wasteful, but not as
'wasteful' as DIT-- in DIT you initiate BAT. Above 12% protein, DIT is turned
off completely. Blumberg says: "Thus the 12% (humans) and 20% (rats) for the
two species repressent ideal concentrations of protein for maximally
efficient utilization of energy. But such ideal dieets are not always
available, and many species that typically encounter low protein diets
possess copious amount of BAT to burn off excess fat and achieve nutrient
balance." (p.186) By eating too much protein we may be turning off the best
energy burner we have. Protein can take metabolic pathways similar to carbos
and does invoke insulin.

The suggestion of 12 % protein is what one should eat over the course of the
day.  As Blumberg says, the body should burn off excess fat if it's nutrient
needs have not been met and go looking for another meal. If that meal is also
low in protein and high in fat, fat will be stored, leptin will turn off
apetite, he'd stop eating. He'd burned off the excess fat as heat and go
searching for another meal, etc. not stopping until his needs for protein and
nutrients had been met.  The fact that high fat/low protein meals will
initiate DIT gives us a clue as to why the Keckwick and Pawan (1000 calories,
90% fat) experimental diet was so successful. Actually Atkins suggests such a
diet for those that he calls metabolically resistant. Atkins also cautions us
not to do a high protein/low fat diet. Another thing that initiates DIT is
cold temperature (turn down those furnaces). Maybe the ideal (weight loss)
diet is one that is  80% fat, 12% protein and 8% high nutrient carbs under
winter conditions. (Actually this may have been just about the diet our paleo
ancestors had during the winter when they burned down their own fat they put
on during the summer) Anyone game to try it?

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>