From:
Silver DarkSky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:09:42 EDT

The flex people responded to a five page fax I sent that included the
forbidden foods list and some sarcasm about accepting virgata should I want
to have lots of sex.  They responded by mail with the following.

They need more information on item 2 below.

From the IRS revised ruling on April 3, 2002 (IRS PUB RR-02-19)
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-02-19.pdf
Rev. Rul. 55-261, 1955-1 C.B. 307, holds that medical care
includes the cost of special food if

(1) the food alleviates or treats an illness,

Did this in a five page fax describing Celiac Sprue, its effects and
treatment?

(2) it is not part of the normal nutritional needs of the taxpayer, and

Is a loaf of six flower bread a part of my normal nutritional needs?  I sort
of think I could live without it.  How about my brownies and granola bars?  I
need to be able to make number two apply.  Help?

(3) the need for the food is substantiated by a physician.

   Done this, sent prescription of GF diet for Life.

From the letter...It does not initially appear that the second condition is
met.  The tax court has, however, allowed special foods to be reimbursed to
the extent that their cost exceeds the cost of a normal diet.  If you can
substantiate how much the cost of foods for which you submitted claims
exceeds the cost of a normal diet, Intermountain Administrators will consider
that additional cost as a reimbursable medical expense.

So, help me explain why number two applies to a celiac diet.

Blessed Be!
Rev. Silver DarkSky ULC
<A HREF="http://www.tarotreadings.net">Life Cycle Tarot Counseling</A>
The Free Single Card Reading is Back!