From:
Donald &Teresa Andrasik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 06:11:44 -0400

Blank

Hello Everyone and thank you all for your letters.

 I received 54 responses and am grateful for the information and
support. There were four angry letters in this sampling. (I choose to
ignore those). Many letters gave several pieces of advise, that's why
the numbers don't add up below.

9 people wanted me to check into the American's with Disabilities Act,
however, one fellow mentioned that it is very difficult to get any
health insurance if one is going this route.

25 people do all the research themselves, most feel they get the best,
most accurate answers that way.

6 people want me to go elsewhere for my medication needs.

30 people share the same problem, difficulty in getting a pharmacist to
track their prescriptions for gluten, even when the references are
available and the doctor has written gf on the script.

1 person suggested that if an insurance company pays for the
medications, I should complain to them.

2 persons suggested I follow the chain of command and complain in the
pharmacy structure.

1 person has no difficulty getting gf prescriptions filled by her
pharmacist.

Here are some references that were shared by this group:
www.stokesrx.com
www.rxlist.com
www.needymeds.com
www.pharmacytimes.com

     Many people shared the same feelings of frustration and
discrimination with me. Pharmacists automatically track prescriptions
for allergies and for glucose (diabetic patients) but are not willing to
track for gluten.  We are each experiencing the same situation, the
question is, are we different from any other patients who get their
medications checked for other things? I think not.  I have since found a
small town pharmacist who is kind.  I shared my information with him,
gave him the updated gf drug book, and am paying out of pocket for my
family's gf medications. Our doctor also has this information and works
with the pharmacist to order the correct brand names ahead of time. As a
registered nurse I am not convinced that it is the patient's task to
track these medications.  Busy or not, pharmacists have the connections
and the knowledge to do this. And they do this for many other diseases
and disorders. We as celiacs need to be more assertive with our
pharmacists if we want to be treated equally. Thanks for your input,
Teresa