THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:31:09 +0800
From: "Stubblefield, Laurie" <[log in to unmask]>

> It's my father.  He's currently in his mid-seventies, and has been plagued
> with severe migraines, skin eruptions, aching joints, asthma, allergies, bad
> back, excess unmovable weight, gout and an erratic temper all of his life.
> Lately he can barely move because of joint pain, so they give him medication
> for that and it exacerbates the migraines.

Re  the skin eruptions, it is possible that the gout medication (assuming it is
Allopurinol) is causing it. While it is common in later life to see a decreased
metabolism which may be helped by thyroid, it is best to have him tested and to
rule this out. Even the Gout may be related to hypothyroidism by way of low body
temperature. This is the observation of Dr. Broda Barnes in Hypothyroidism: The
Unsuspected Illness. Gout is caused by crystallization of excess uric acid into
urates. These crystals deposit themselves commonly in the extremities-- farthest
from the body core because of its lower temperature. At a certain point of uric
acid concentration in the fluid between joints the synovial fluid becomes
supersaturated with urates. Untreated the deposits grow like bones and sometimes
deposited in the skin also.

> My question:  My twin, Lisa, and I are both hypothyroid (mine's
> Hashimoto's).  Could HE be thyroid as well?

There's a greater probabillty. Barnes cites fruitful years in his elderly
patients who were appreciated of their thyroid deficiencies.

Greg

"When a discovery proves to square with the observable world,
scientists make reputations by confirming it,
and corporations are soon making profits from it"
(Ed Friedlander, Pathologist)

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]