From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:50:38 -0700

I had posted:

>>What I'm wondering is if the folic acid supplement could be responsible
for the relief or if the relief I received was due to the nap I took &
simply a coincidence that it was after taking the folic acid? Have any of
you had similar experiences with folic acid or other B vitamins?  Any
opinions? <<

List mates, I'm convinced that the folic acid pill did it.  I've
continued to improve on all fronts since I started using this supplement.
 My muscles are more relaxed, I'm more energetic & I don't need as large
doses of potassium, magnesium and calcium to control leg cramps as I did
before starting folic acid supplements.  Apparently folic acid is as
important to proper muscle tone as those other three nutrients which are
more commonly recommended for muscle cramps.   I hit the books & internet
to find objective evidence that very quick relief is possible with folic
acid supplementation.  Here's what I found:
        I found something interesting in LANGE 2002 Current Medical Diagnosis &
Treatment about treating macrocytic (megaloblastic) anemia with vitamin
B12 and folic acid.  Re B12 deficiency:  "PATIENTS RESPOND TO THERAPY
WITH AN IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT IN THEIR SENSE OF WELL BEING."  Re Folic
Acid deficiency: "THE RESPONSE IS SIMILAR TO THAT SEEN IN THE TREATMENT
OF VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY, WITH RAPID IMPROVEMENT AND A SENSE OF
WELL-BEING... "
        On the internet (sorry, but I can't recall the reference) I read that
folic acid is vital to the immune system and nerve function.  That would
explain why I've had several viral infections w/i the last month after
not having had so much as a sniffle for over the past year.  That would
also explain why my muscles were tight & painful; my nerves weren't
properly stimulating them & relaxing them, so they became tight & sore.
And it lends credibility to my belief that that first folic acid pill
relieved my muscle pain & tension.
        I also found in the writings of Dr. Jonathan Wright that folic acid is
"vital for keeping the cardiovascular system healthy by helping to reduce
levels of the amino acid homocysteine, and for proventing certain birth
defects (e.g., spina bifida).  Folate levels [blood levels of folic acid]
tend to decline with advancing age, leading to a rise in homocysteine
levels that has been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular
disease. Adequate folic acid intake (400 to 800) micrograms/day) easily
prevents these problems, but few people ingest enough of this vitamin in
their normal diet."
        Sublingual folic acid and B12 have been found to be well absorbed in the
mouth.  So if you are not as severely deficient as I was with B12 and am
with folic acid, sublingual tabs like Clara takes are probably enough for
you. I tried the NOW sublingual tabs as well as several other brands, but
I couldn't tolerate any of them.  They all made my mouth break out.  (I'm
allergic to the whole world!)
        Citrus fruits, leafy greens & liver are very rich sources of folic acid.
 But, be careful not to over cook as heat destroys it.  As I recall, last
winter, I had been eating a whole grapefruit and liver almost every day.
Grapefruit went out of season & I got totally sick of liver.  Soon after
that, I began to lose my edge little by little until I was totally
flattened with anemia.  To think that all that misery could have been
prevented had I not changed my daily.  I've added it back in & am
determined to eat liver at least twice a week in the future.  It's really
good when it's well prepared.  Mmmm...... I guess I'll post a couple of
recipes.
        I don't want to give anyone the impression that I believe folic acid is
the cure for all fatigue, muscle stiffness & pain.  Many things can cause
these symptoms.  I believe I received such a dramatic response only
because I was extremely deficient in folic acid.  If you receive no
response from trying it, you may be getting enough in your diet.
        Here are some of the list responses I received:  [My comments are in
brackets.]
----------
Believe me it's not your nap
----------
I have been taking folic acid for what seems forever (18 years).  I don't
recall ever noticing muscle tightness, however, I do remember that the
horrible headaches I used to get stopped after I started taking it.  Even
now, I will wake up with a headache if I don't take it for a couple of
days. For whatever stupid reason I didn't take it for several days, I was
so exhausted I couldn't believe it  (tired enough that I didn't put 2 + 2
together.) I don't see how 2 hours could make as much difference as you
seemed to notice, but I'll buy it, simply because Calcium has that effect
on my legs.

Welcome to the "1 more pill" club!
---------
  I've had similar experience with B 12.  My B 12 levels were very low
about a year ago.  My memory was impaired, I was grossly fatigued & even
had macrocytic anemia from the deficiency.  I started on B 12 shots.
Within a couple hours of the first shot, I felt much better.  I remember
improving very rapidly.   As I recall, it took two or three shots a week
for a month or two to get rid of the anemia, bring my blood levels back
to normal & keep my energy level sustained between shots.  I now do
weekly injections at home.  It's a very cheap therapy.  I pay about $10
for a three month supply of the vitamin and about $25 for a box of 100
syringes.  --VAL
I had the same reaction to folic acid.  In Canada, 1000 mcg is available
with the vitamins at any store (I got mine at WalMart).  My first day
with this much folic acid was my first great day on guai.  And my energy
has
increased steadily since.  Coincidence perhaps, but I'll take it!!!!
Besides, the docs tell pre-pregnant women to take folic acid, so 2 birds
with 1 stone!  --Nicki
---------
Q:  I was wondering, was your folic acid in a pill or a capsule?