From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 06:11:12 -0500

Hi List,

Since going gluten free I have not felt 100% (it has been two years) until
I recently started a self-initiated elimination diet, as I have developed
distinct histamine responses to certain foods, and rather less distinct
reactions to others.  I feel much better without common things like milk,
soy, corn, nuts, many citrus, stone fruits and berries(although I am told
that even if I react to apples, there may be one type I will not react to--
interesting!).  Many of my food allergies seem cross-reactive to strong
rye, grass, and tree allergies (which have lessened since eliminating
gluten--I suppose there is less for my system to deal with).  Allergies
are apparently, like Celiac, hereditary.  Ironically, although my N.

European ancestors carried my genes through the Plague, I am sure the
lineage will cease at some point from a simple strawberry!!

I have 3 questions.

1. What do you know about rotation diets or food elimination diets?  Book
recommendations? Personal experiences?  With gluten intolerance and
reactions to other alternatives, my limited selection of foods may benefit
from a rotation diet (given my proclivity to food allergy or intolerance).

2. In your expereince what is the best way to begin re-introducing foods
into the diet?  I have pared it down to rice, yoghurt, some honey,
brocolli, cauliflower, eggs, olive oil, and some fish and am doing really
well.  But feel the need for a better diet and want to start adding foods
soon, but I think I need a system so I don"t go crazy.  Is it best to
start by food family (i.e. start with nightshades--potato, bell peppers,
etc.) C randomly, or by if I think it is truly an offending food?
I am currently in Germany, where my reactions are worsened.  The allergist
here did not know too much about rotation or elimination diets (both of
which I want more info on.)  However, she did encourage me to eliminate
histamine rich foods and histamine releasing foods.  This brings me to my
second q.

2.  Which nuts have the highest levels of histamine in them?  I read
that "certain nuts" have high histamine levels, but have not been able to
find a list of these.  This is more out of curiosity since I want to track
my reaction to nuts and see if there are loose correlation to histamine
foods. My reaction is delayed and results in general symptoms as well as
increased red rash/low key hives on my legs and forehead (turning into
ezcema).  This has stopped since I stopped with the walnuts, almonds,
pecans, etc.  But it seems that not all nu
ts have the same impact.

Any advice, recommendations, etc. are appreciated.  Of course I am also
working with my allergist here, but obviously feel the need for extra
info. I will do my best to summarize.  Thanks!!

Saskia Smith
Muenster, Germany