EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 22:20:02 GMT
Hi John and Jim,

Yet by allowing an application to be driven entirely by mouse, as well
as entirely by keyboard, you are increasing the universality.  In the
case of a screen reader, the mouse operation may be attractive for
a person with dyslexia.

There are other possible modes of input: keypad, chordal (such as
Perkins), switch and speech recognition.

But one should really distinguish between control and language input.
For a text reader, you only need control, and there are ways to make
the control of the application very simple, thus increasing the
universality.

On the output side, there is the visual: text, symbols, sign language;
the audio: speech; and the tactile: Braille, Moon and others.

But again, you can increase the accessibility in each mode.  For
example for text output you can display a word at a time, which
helps people who have difficulty in scanning along a line of text
and back to the start of the next line.  It also allows people to
read much faster - which you could say is increasing accessibility,
if you include an efficiency factor.  And you have possibilities
of magnification and choosing the colour scheme.

BTW, we aim to make WordAloud as universal as possible, currently
with two modes of input and two modes of output.  We are adding
symbols, and will be adding a novel serial tactile output in the future
to make WordAloud accessible for deafblind people.
Download a free evaluation version from http://www.cloudworld.co.uk.

Cheers,

John

P.S.  WordAloud is not a screen reader.  It reads text directly
from memory, not via interpretation of what is on the screen.
This means it can be even more simple to use!
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk