NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:00:04 -0500
"Nancy Morris wrote:"

> Thank you for your reply!!  I can not do any formulas that are available
> without a prescription...even alimentum and nutramigen have milk and soy
> proteins, as well as having corn, which I suspect is a problem.

We did alimentum which worked ok for my strongly milk-allergic boy  (he
reacted violently one day much later when I challenged milk with a
single pat of butter on a potato!)  The proteins were broken down far
enough *for him*.  But we didn't have a corn issue...  I'm sure you
could get a prescription for the super-hypoallergenic stuff if you wanted
to try it (though a breastfed baby might not take them!)

> I am going
> to keep at the diet and start to re-intro the top 8.  My current thinking is
> I am going  to add back in wheat and take out oats and corn and see what
> happens....my thinking is that if wheat is an issue he will get worse; if
> not, he will stay same; if he gets significantly better then I can assume
> corn and/or oats was an issue (which I am really thinking is a good chance)
> and reintro them separately at a later time.  What do you think??  Thanks
> again!!

Nancy, are you on a "safe" vitamin supplement?  I think I'd try introducing
a supplement next to make sure you are getting adequate nutrition.  Because
if you're not, neither is he.  A month on such a limited diet is enough --
more and I think it is a bad idea without a supplement.

Beyond that, yes, sticking with it and re-introing the top 8 slowly
(no more than 1 per 4 days or more, IMO) is probably worthwhile.  Doing
this got me answers with one of my kids, but none with the other.  The
problem is, if you see a problem with something, you really need to
eliminate it and not add anything else for a while until he gets "better"
again, or you're going to confuse your results.  I hope you can figure it
out!  It is incredibly frustrating to go through all you are going through
and not get any answers!

Good luck!!
--Robyn