NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 00:40:36 -0400
I buy chocolate from a local confectionary store that
sells Belgian chocolate. I asked whether the chocolate
chips had dairy and the owner said "no" but that the
manufacturer did not warrant the chocolate as dairy
free because it was created in huge plant and they
made food with dairy in it in other parts of the
complex. I'm quite certain that the liability issue is
at play nowadays. So many things say "may contain
nuts" or similar even though the product doesn't seem
to have any possible relation to nuts.

The US gov't will enforce food labelling in 2004 that
requires beef products which were not from cows born
and raised in the US to be considered foreign.
However, requiring accurate labelling of contents
isn't. It's sad but our Canadian regulations are even
more lax. We certainly can't throw stones. Too much
glass.....

Don M

--- Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> What we really all need is a coherent labeling
> scheme
> that talks to us, the dairy-allergic/intolerant, >
On the other hand, once you bring labeling and