VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Steuerwalt, Jon C." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steuerwalt, Jon C.
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:33:37 -0500
With this type of virus it would be wise to download and apply a patch for
the security hole left open by certain versions of Internet Explorer (5.01
and 5.5).  Without the patch, an email message in H T M L format can execute
a virus simply by opening the email and viewing it.  Virus infection made
easy!  No need to open an email attachment.

See the Microsoft Security bulletins that discusses this vulnerability at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS01-020.asp
and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS01-027.asp
The patch for MSIE 5.01 can be downloaded from this Microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/q295106/default.asp
The patch for MSIE 5.5 can be downloaded from this Microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/q299618/default.asp -
Jon