From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:57:47 -0700
This isn't true in the United States. There should indeed be three wires,
however our voltage here is 110-130v AC depending on your supplier. Black is
you hot wire, carried voltage, White is the neutral, and Green is Ground.
With a meter in the outlet, assuming a standard household U-ground outlet,
you should have voltage from the (facing the outlet) RH slot to either
ground, the lower center hole or the other side of the outlet, netural. You
should NOT have voltage from the LH slot to ground. Your power cord on the
computer should have a three prong cord. On newer cords, the prong that fits
into the left slot on the outlet is bigger so as to maintain polarity,
meaning, hot to hot, neutral to neutral.
I hope I haven't confused you too much. If you house wiring is ok, then you
should find and definately repair whatever is shorted in your computer.

Brad Loomis
Morro Bay, CA