Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:06:01 +0900
Wally Day wrote:
ay! Nice to have you join in on this.

> I initiated this thread wondering what would happen if
> someone converted a cornfield to grazing.

Happens all the time, part of the crop rotation cycle many
farmers follow.

Are you
> aware of anyone who has experimented with this? I
> haven't found anyone so far. I'm curious about how one
> would go about this - would it take many years, or
> could someone simply raze the cornfield and then plant
> meadow grasses? Would the natural restorative grazing
> cycle begin immediately, or would there be a period of
> adjustment?

If you just abandoned a crop field, the first year would be
mainly broadleaf weeds, some quite poisonous. By the second
year grass would begin to predominate, mainly rather weedy
grasses of low productivity. If you kept grazing cows on it
it would soon convert to mainly grasses, if there was decent
rainfall. You can easily improve productivity by planting
mixed legume/grass seed rather than just letting it grow up
whatever. Depends on the climate etc what exact mix of
plants you would choose. A lot of farmers in my home area
graze creek bottoms and woods, the ground looks like a
shaggy lawn.

> (This part may seem a 'little' off-topic.)
>
> Here's the origin of my curiousity. I am an avid
> gardener. For the past couple of years my interest has
> been in 'edible landscape'.

I like to eat and encourage the wild edibles that appear in
my garden. This year I have lots of lambsquarters, because
last year I let one grow up and go to seed. That is all it
took, now I have plenty ;--)

> (Here's where we get back on-topic :)
>
> IF this movement gains adherants (and environmental
> pressures may eventually 'force' the issue), it might
> be an opportunity to get larger property owners to put
> their land to good use, and start grazing some
> animals. If I didn't think I'd get sued by my
> homeowners association, I'd probably start tomorrow :)
> But, that's another story.

Got bunnies in your yard? Squirrels? Just plant a few bushes...