From:
The Getty's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:41:46 -0400
it's
> insanity to believe that people would cultivate crops that they
> didn't previously eat at all.
>
> I think the general principle is that before people ate cultivars
> they ate wild varieties of the same food.  This is the only way
> to make sense of the appearance of cultivars.  I don't argue that
> the paleolithic diet was anything remotely resembling a
> grain-based diet, only that grains must have been among the wide
> variety of foods that they exploited when it was feasible to do
> so.

Agreed.  I'd like to understand the thinking of those who think Paleo people
didn't eat grains...........I'd really like to know what kind of scenario
they could envision in man going from having no interest in grains, to the
whole industry of growing and processing cultivars of grain.  It HAD to
start with a long time of just picking wild grains and eating them in some
simple manner.  If you have another idea, I'd love to hear it.
I also feel that the grains did not make up much of the diet.  And, I'm
sure, many groups of people did not ever have grain in their diet, which may
allow us to understand why some people don't do well with grains.  I guess
we all have to remember that our ancestral lineage is not the same for all
of us, and that some of our ancestors had diets different than the ancestors
of others.
Paul

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]