From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:32:54 -0400
We have several chair manufacturing plants in the West Michigan area.  There was a large article in the local paper today stating that, due to the increased size of people today, plants have begun making chair seats larger.

The article said that when chairs were made in the early 1900's for baseball stadiums, they had 19" seats.  Local companies are now manufacturing chairs up to 23" wide.

In a related story,  I read this week that several airlines are forcing large people to purchase two tickets.  A couple of weeks ago there were reports of parents receiving notes from their childrens' grade schools that their children were overweight.

The diet and lack of exercise related problems in the U.S. are so out of control that they are making the news more and more often.  Makes me wonder what we will look like in 50 years and what changes will be needed to accommodate our larger population.  Not a pretty thought.

Kath