Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 May 2002 11:30:14 -0500
You may recall our previous serotonin discussions.
Today I found (in the quote I included below) the actual 5 competitor
amino acids for tryptophan to enter into the brain.
Before I divided TRY by total protein, but now I was able to express the
actual ratio of tryptophan against it's competitors.

The results are... quite similar, but more exact. Considering only food
items with more than 1% of protein I found Dates again on the place No 1.
It has 0.174 parts TRY / the 5 competitors - but only 2% total protein.
However dates may provide a good serotonin boost - if anyone likes to dream
good. They are also high in carbohydrate.

Next place is already far off but still double the TRY compared to beef.
 again the miracolous winged beans (0,100) - which I didn't manage to get in
any asia marked. They didn't know the stuff.
Then, annother 20% off mustard seeds (high in protein) at 0,088 similar
to sesame at 0,080.

Dates stuffed with sesame.... a nice recipe.

Whoever considers pigs as paleo, pork pancreas is just the same in ratio and
total protein as sesame.
But only pancreas, no other meat or organ meat.

Some more examples:
Walnut: 0,055 (like pumpkin seed and mothers milk)
Beef is at 0,048 (like cow milk).
Which is mentioned in the article below as to be already
hindering the tryptophan to enter properly into the brain.

regards

Amadeus S.

Quote from Mohammed the Prophet (as was told to me orally):
If you see a date, interrupt your fast.

Quote from
http://taz3.hyperreal.org/nootropics/nutrients/neurotransmitterprecursors.ht
ml :
The apparent paradoxes is because the amount of tryptophan
available in the brain for conversion into serotonin depends not only
on the amount of tryptophan in the plasma but also on the ratio of
plasma tryptophan to the plasma level of five other amino acids
 tyrosine, phenylalanine, leucine, isoleucine and valine. All six of
these amino acids are comparatively large molecules and in a
physiological environment most of them are electrically neutral with
 about as much positive charge as negative. Their passage between
 the blood and the brain is facilitated by carrier molecules present in
 the endothelial cells lining brain capillaries. A single species of carrier
 molecule transports all six of the large neutral amino acids across
the blood-brain barrier. The amino acids compete with one another
for attachment to the carrier and hence for uptake from the
 bloodstream into the brain. There is far less tryptophan in most
proteins than there is tyrosine, phenylalanine,leucine isoleucine or
 valine. A high-protein evening meal therefore reduces the plasma
ratio of tryptophan to the competing amino acids so less tryptophan
is carried across the barrier and less reaches the neurons.
Conversely, a high carbohydrate meal in the evening tends to
increase serotonin utilization levels.