NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vickie Tyree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:28:34 -0500
Hi Eric,

My son is allergic to dairy.  When an infant that is breast feeding has milk
allergies, the mother has to avoid milk, too, because there is a milk
protein that passes through the mother's milk to the child.  I nursed him
exclusively from birth and ate whatever I wanted during his first two months
without any reaction from him.  However, two weeks after I took him for his
first set of immunizations, he developed a rash on his cheeks that would not
go away.  After several months, I figured out that it could be a milk
allergy.  Once I stopped consuming milk products, the rash went away.  I am
convinced that the immunization did something to his immune system
triggering this allergic reaction that he did not have before the shots.  I
have not given him all of his shots because of this...only the ones I think
are absolutely necessary and only one at a time with a vitamin pre-load to
make sure his little immune system is ready for it.

He is now two years old.  I stopped nursing him shortly before his second
birthday.  At two, he had an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter.  We had
him allergy tested and he came up negative on milk, but positive on eggs and
peanuts.  I started letting him eat a little food with dairy in it and he
developed a mild rash on his cheeks again which went away after stopping the
dairy.  I'm going to continue feeding him a non-dairy diet and try to
reintroduce dairy now and then to see if he has a reaction.

His story may not be news worthy, but I thought I'd share it in case anyone
else has experienced similar observations with their children.

Regards,

Vickie Tyree