NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:17:49 -0400
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, [windows-1252] Ted A. Wilcox wrote:

> The web site is http://www.dairyfreerestaurantfood.wilcoxent.com if you=20=

A few comments.  I notice you like Subway.  I stopped going when I noticed
the amount of cross-contamination (parmesan cheese sprinkles all over the
veggie bins).

What did you eat at Outback that made you so ill?  I don't go often, but
the only things I eat there are the outback special (steak), fries,
vegetable salad with thousand island dressing, and the bloomin' onion.

The steak, you should specify they not dip it in clarified butter before
cooking (perhaps that's the "glaze" their site mentions).  I'm a little
surprised to see they say the bloomin' onion is prepared with "butter
and/or milk", and wonder if the recipe varies by location.  I've eaten the
bloomin' onion many times and not noticed a reaction.  I dip it in
ketchup...not the creamy mustard sauce they serve it with, so maybe that's
where the dairy is?  I just submitted the question via their web site.

You do have to be careful whenever you eat out.  I've been places where
I've explained my milk alergy, asked for a vegetable-only salad, and
gotten salad with grated cheese.  Sent it back for them to get it right,
only to have another salad with cheese on it brought out.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |