NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lea Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:24:51 +0700
Interesting - I wonder if anyone has done a study on cross-contamination
with food allergens in the fast food industry?  It's very possible, as
someone suggested, that I've reacted to something else in the hamburger,
though more likely it's a general reaction to the bacteria/preservatives.  I
haven't lived in the States in about 4 years, I live in South East Asia -
you would think this was a perfect place to live for non-dairy but it's
actually not.  There is very little awareness on what goes into food,
"dairy" is not a category and often isn't a word in the local languages and
generally people respond to foreigners as "wanting milk/creme/butter/cheese
if they have it from the French influence.

This could also be the difference with Indian restaurants.  It is cheaper to
use vegetable ghee though I haven't found many restaurants in the NYC/Boston
are that use it.  I don't think it's so much the expense but rather the
establish Indian communities there that have (cheaper no doubt due to bulk)
access to dairy ghee.  In South Asia few restaurants use vegetable ghee, had
a near-death experience in Calcutta that was distinctly not fun.  If your
Indian restaurants can differentiate, great! Send me their address because I
sure miss Indian food :)

Lea Spring Dooley
HIV AIDS Program Advisor
CARE Cambodia
tel: 855 23 215 267
H/P: 855 12 678 513

We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has
been overcome and people live in dignity and security.  CARE International
will be a global force and a partner of choice within a worldwide movement
dedicated to ending poverty.  We will be known everywhere for our unshakable
commitment to the dignity of people.

Please note new address