NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:52:13 +0000
Note that lactose is not a milk protein - it's a milk
sugar, and usually quite pure.

That said, there's no telling how a highly milk-allergic
person will react to eating, snorting, or inhaling
lactose.

When I tried one of the first inhaled powders, I didn't
do too well. I looked at the ingredients, saw the
lactose, and stopped taking it immediately. As long as
there is an alternative, I will not choose any
medication that has been derived in any way from milk.

As I said before - it astonishes me to look at the
possible side effects of lactose-containing inhaled
asthma medications and see broncospasm, anaphylaxis,
etc. listed as possible side effects. I often wonder how
many of those people are highly dairy allergic.

I also wonder if the differences between the medication
group and the control group are in any way influenced by
the presence of lactose in the control.

What a minefield we navigate!

Mark