C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 06:52:42 -0500
I'm usually all for an appeals process in the death sentence and I'm for a
more careful deliberation over the death sentence as I think it can be
applied too harshly (as in Texas) but I feel in this case the snipers
deserve it.  They showed no humanity, no empathy for their victims, and no
remorse.  I doubt life in prison will change any of that, and I think the
victims' families need closure.

And Mag you said that putting someone to death is the easy way out.  How is
it an easier way out than keeping a man in prison for life?  Not for
society, for I think we lose something every time someone is killed, whether
it's murder or the death sentence or in war.  We all pay a price.  I
certainly don't feel good for putting someone to death.  But neither do I
feel good seeing someone sentenced to life in prison.  We need to remember
that other people are affected, not just the murderers and victims but also
their families and friends.  "No man is an island...," and society must be
considered (going into sociological mode here); we have our mores and laws,
and people must pay the penalty for breaking them.  At least the way we put
people to death in this county is more humane than the noose or beheading or
the gas chamber, or the electric chair.

Kat