C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:56:49 -0400
I was wishing the very same thing of a security guard where I work.  Now,
most of them are OK and seem to know that I prefer opening the doors myself
but will ask for help if needed.  However there is one guard who always
raced me to the door and never seemed to be able to take my hints to please
stop such silliness seriously.  It was getting to the point where I would
dread leaving the building just because this idiot would make such a big
show out of being helpful.  This was getting really ridiculous.  I finally
became assertive and told him off, albeit politely (I have lived in the
South for over 30 years now, and I guess it shows).  I told him he doesn't
get up for al the able-bodied women coming and going, so why should he treat
me any different?  Perhaps I came on a bit harsh, for he looked a bit hurt,
but at least I let him know his over-attentiveness was not welcome.

So what do you think, guys?  Was I making too much of a big deal about it?
Oh, and FYI, he is in his 70s, I think and a bit slow on his feet, too,
which also made the whole thing sillier, in my opinion, as I usually shoot
out of the building like a bat out of hell at the end of the day.

Kat