C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:29:02 -0400
I know people who had positive experiences with them, and I must say they've
cleaned up their act.
It's just that I grew up when they were not portraying CP kids in very
positive ways.  As I said earlier, though, UCP wasn't the only one - Easter
Seals and MDA were just as bad.

To be scrupulously fair, I went to a nursery school for CP kids sponsored by
UCP, although my main memory of that is being bitten by another CP kid who
got mad at me because I beat her in Candy Land.  Also, for a few summers
during elementary school, I went to Easter Seals summer camps for disabled
kids and had a ball.  Easter Seals also gave my family tickets to a Beatles
concert at the Hollywood Bowl (yes, we went, even though my parents were
rather dubious of the honour!).  It's an experience I've never forgotten.

Kat