C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:12:05 +0000
On Monday 25 Mar 2002 10:21 pm, Bobby G. Greer, Ph. D. wrote:
> Deri or Ken will have to do this, but I vote with you, Mag.
>
> Bobby
>
> In a message dated 3/25/02 4:18:56 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
> >I vote we make c-palsy
> >
> >1.  a member only archive.
> >2.  we update the blurb,

I don't like "member only" archives, it seems to lead to a more
"cliquey" atmosphere. I think it is good disciplline to write posts
as though anyone in the world can read them. Also, by leaving our
archives "open" we are providing a "resource" for the world at large,
perhaps giving a glimpse of living with CP, a casual browser on the
net may read a C-PALSY post in the archive which gives him/her an
insight but they would never think of actually joining the group.

The "blurb" is not something we can "update", its on a completely
different web site, not part of  StJohns University.

This list has always been self-censoring, I think that works well. It
has no strict guidelines or rules, that doesn't necessarily lead to
anarchy since there is a reliance on everyones good nature to play
nice. The problem with setting down "rules" is that someone may ask a
very interesting question, and someone else says "but that's against
the rules", the discussion then centres on interpretation of the
rules rather than giving useful answers to the questioner. Rules also
have a nasty habit of multiplying (how many amendments to the
constitution you got now!), so there may be 1 broad well thought out
Rule - someone will undoubtedly want to improve it!!! (Bear in mind
this is Deri "the Nihilist" broadcasting from a country with an
"unwritten" constitution!!). If there is a post which you disagree
with, argue with them, but be prepared for others to argue
with you as well.

So without rules, no subject is "taboo", but I think you'll find that
if "coarse" or "hurtful" language is used, quite a lot of people will
be arguing against it.

Anyway, that's my vote (to keep the archives open - rules unwritten),
but its just 1 vote, so if you all shout at me that I'm a foolish
ideallist, I'll do the do and our prison walls will come up.

Cheers

Deri