AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aggo Akyea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:41:30 CDT
http://www.commerce.state.wi.us/mt/MT-PR02-0142.html

For Immediate Release
August 23, 2002

Contact: Tim Roby, Governor’s Office, 608/266-8110
 Tony Hozeny, Communications Director, Department of Commerce, 608/267-9661

GOVERNOR ANNOUNCES MINORITY BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AWARDS

MADISON--Gov. Scott McCallum today announced that two companies will share $85,000 in Minority Business Development Fund (MBDF) awards. The awards were approved during a MBDF Board meeting held August 23 in Madison.

"Today’s awards will foster expansion projects that will position these Wisconsin companies for future growth and promote further development of our industrial clusters in line with my Build Wisconsin economic development initiative," Gov. McCallum said. "I am pleased that we can assist businesses that meet the needs of diverse communities in Wisconsin."

The Governor added that the awards would help the companies create 12 jobs and leverage $423,100 in additional investment.

The following summarizes the successful proposals:

GDH, LLC, Madison, Dane County, $25,000 Minority Business Development Loan (MBD). Sadat Abiri, owner of GDH, LLC, is a registered nurse with experience in providing in-home private nursing care. Ms. Abiri will purchase an existing six-bedroom, 2,340-sq.-ft. community based residential facility, expand to house eight residents, and work as full time manager/nurse at the facility. GDH, LLC will provide a private bedroom, three meals per day, laundry service, medication management, health monitoring, and daily activity program. The MBD loan will be used for expansion costs. The project will create two new positions and leverage $310,000 in additional investment. This business is a part of the Health Care industrial cluster.

Vanguard Computers, Inc., Brookfield, Waukesha County, $60,000 MBD loan. Vanguard Computers, Inc. supplies educational institutions, governmental entities, and corporations with custom computers and provides authorized sales, rentals, networking consultation, design, and implementation services of machines made by IBM, Gateway, Hewlett-Packard, Toshiba, Compaq, and Intel. The MBD loan will be used to purchase equipment. The project will create 10 new positions and leverage $113,100 in additional investment. This business is a part of the Information Technology industrial cluster.

For further information about COMMERCE programs and services for minority-owned businesses, contact Todd Kearney, COMMERCE, at 608/266-6675.