AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:00:21 -0500
Mondial 2002 : Le Sénégal se qualifie pour Japon - Corée du Sud
21 Juillet 2001 17:00 heure de Dakar

Les Lions du Sénégal se sont qualifiés ce samedi pour la coupe du monde 2002
en battant la Namibie par 5 buts à 0. Buts de Pape Thiaw (12è et
25èminutes), El Hadj Diouf (25èmn), Khalilou Fadiga sur penalty (76è mn) et
Moussa Ndiaye (80èmn). Au même moment, l'Egypte a partagé les points avec
l'Algérie 1 - 1. C'est la première fois que le Sénégal va jouer la coupe du
monde.

Le classement définitif du groupe C

Sénégal 15 points , +12
Maroc 15 points, + 5
Egypte 13 points, +9
Algérie
Nqmibie

Senegal's heroics to win a place at the World Cup Finals prompted riotous
joy in the streets of the capital Dakar and throughout the country, and left
the country's president itching to get back and join in.
On hearing of the Lions' success, President Abdoulaye Wade immediately cut
short an official visit to France and called for his hired aircraft to speed
him back to Senegal.

He said: "My deepest congratulations go to the courageous Lions who have
made history for Senegal.

"At this time this is the most important thing that could happen to any
country and I will join the team and the nation in celebration by reducing
the amount of time I was expected to stay in Paris."

Before leaving for France, Wade met the team at an official palace reception
last Monday following the 1-0 success over Morocco which set up
qualification.

Chartered plane

The president donned star striker El-Hadji Diouf's shirt and ordered a
special chartered flight to Windhoek for the team, and that plane will now
be returning them to Dakar as soon as possible.
Wade added: "I came to Paris with a hired aircraft and I have called for it
to come and pick me up fast to head for Dakar. I can't wait to be back."

Celebrations went on without him in Dakar as Independence Square was crammed
full of celebrating fans with the colours of the national flag on their
shirts, faces and clothing.

One Dakar resident told the BBC, "It's complete madness everywhere."

She said that the whole city was watching the match live on TV and loud
cheers echoed around the suburbs as each goal went in.

Deafening noise

But there was an anxious wait at the final whistle because Egypt didn't
finish their match for another 25 minutes, so the celebrations had to be put
on hold.

"Then, when our qualification was confirmed, there was a deafening noise and
children ran out onto the streets, while motorists honked their car-horns
and waved flags out of the windows", she added.

A number of wealthy individuals have already come forward with promises of
cash rewards for the players and their families.

Before this achievement, Senegal's closest connection to the World Cup was
having their world-renowned musician Youssou Ndour helping make the draw for
the last tournament in Marseille in 1997.