VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 22:29:23 -0500
From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Monthian Buntan wrote:

> Does anyone know any source on the internet where I can obtain some
> articles, papers, research works, or whatever type of document which
> discuss the pros and cons of cross-disability services vs specialized
> services for persons with disabilities.  I'm currently helping a student
> prepare for a seminar on this topic.

I'll take this opportunity to promote the vicug-l archives.  If you have
just joined the list in the past few months, all postings to the list are
archived at http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu  There were several articles
posted last year regarding the controversy here in the United States over
a recommendation the National Council on Disability, a federal disability
policy planning agency, was going to make to Congress.  It had planned to
suggest that congress drop the requirement that states submit two state
plans on how the federal monies used in rehabilitation programs were to
be administered.  At that time and currently, states submit one plan for
blindness related programs and one plan for all other disabilities.
After a challenge of the NCD budget by the blindness advocacy groups in
Washington and and poor communication with the parties, the agency
withdrew the recommendation and planned to request a General Accounting
Office Study of the issue.

The full NCD proposal is in the archives, as is lots more of nifty and
other interesting and sometimes useful stuff.

kelly

VICUG-L ARCHIVES     http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html