NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mariah Fairley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:45:26 -0700
hi. i just joined this list today. i am the mother of two allergic kids. my first daughter, 5 years had milk allergy from birth. i was breastfeeding her and she would vomit every feeding and was crying constantly, no sleep etc. but still gaining. pediatrician said its normal for babies to do that. i even asked if it could be something i was eating, she said absolutely not, its just normal and she would outgrow it.

at four months alenka was still throwing up and i was at the end of my tether, took her to a naturopathic dr who immediately told me to cut dairy from my diet. i did so and alenka never vomited again. she started eating dairy herself at around age 1 and a half or so and she seemed fine. now she suffers from eczema (according to test due to environmental allergies). she takes singulair and zaditen which controls her cough mostly but her ezcema still flaring up quite badly. i dont knwo what to do now. QUESTION: is it possible that she IS still allergic to milk but it didnt show up on the skin test?

fastforward to my second daughter, who is now four months. from birth she started vomiting too. so i automatically cut dairy from my diet again. she got alot better but still gassy and vomiting once in a while. started researching about milk allergy and found out about hidden milk. i basically just cut out everything that could possibly have milk whether it said so on the label or not. but she was still gassy and crying and what not.

so i thought maybe its something else i am eating as well. at the moment ive cut wheat and sugar and oil in addition to the dairy. basically i am eating rice and chicken breast baked in the oven and fruits, nothing else. she is almost fine but she is still passing mucousy stools and is red around the anus.

QUESTION: my question is, is it possible for her to react if i have even the smallest amount of dairy? i mean with alenka i was able to still eat baked goods or things like chicken bullion and stuff, but with farida it seems like maybe not. but i dont know if she could really react to these miniscule amounts of dairy or if its something else entirely. QUESTION: is it possible for her to be unable to digest oil or react to oil -- has anyone ever heard of that? i have cut out oil but maybe its because it is corn oil and she is allergic to corn? i tried eating corn bread the other day, made without milk but of course with corn meal and corn oil and she got terrible diarrhea.

QUESTION: im also wondering does bread have milk in it even though the label doesnt indicate it? id like to be able to at least eat bread. i just dont know if i can go on with only chicken and rice for the next year.

i have so many more questions all bottled up but this is already too long. i hope someone can help.  thanks.
mariah

p.s. i live in egypt now so cant find a good allergist or a dr who knows much of anything about this kind of thing.