C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:02:57 -0400
You wrote:

>>>Yvonee,
I do apologize for the generic term "chronically ill".  I, too, do not like
that term, especially when referring to my son.  My only intention was to
get information from parents on cerebral palsy, so that teachers would be
aware about the condition.  Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.  I am
only trying to educate people so that everyone receives the best possible
education.
Regina<<<

Regina

I think you misunderstood me. It is not a question of not liking the term "chronically ill." Cerebral palsy is NOT an illness - chronic or otherwise. It just is the way he is. Like his beautiful blue eyes or the cowlicks in his hair. :-)  He is a completely typical, HEALTHY 5 year old who happens to have limitations with mobility and speech.

I applaud your efforts to educate teachers re the issues regarding medically fragile children (some of whom MAY have CP in addition to a chronic illness). However, as I tried to explain in my earlier post, I don't think you will find anyone who can help you here.You might try these links:

http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/fleitas/contents.html
(about children with chronic illnesses going to school)

http://www.everydaywarriors.com/
(a website for chronically ill people, including a section about children and teens)

Again, good luck!

Yvonne
Mom to Anthony (5 years old!)