BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The listserv troubled by a bad conscience and a good memory." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:45:51 +1100
8bit
From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
 --- Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Your
Eminence,

> Mr. Gehry, in my opinion, is full of stuff.

Ralph

IMHO there can be no doubt that Mr Gehry has
singlehandedly pushed the envelope of building
technology further than almost anybody since Joseph
Paxton or perhaps Antonio Gaudi.

Putting aside questions of architectural merit, Gehry
has been instrumental in the adoption of 3D CAD/CAM
technology to develop from the modelling stage through
the design and documentation stage to construction
using a single/sequential set of electronic data.

Speaking from a technological (is that technical?)
viewpoint, the building envelopes of Gehry's more
recent buildings are the equivalent of Formula 1 race
cars.  You wouldn't want to own one, let alone drive
one between home and work, but the developments for
the racetrack this year will influence the car you do
drive within the next decade if not before.

So too, with Gehry and construction.

There is little doubt in my mind that our successors
will venerate Gehry in the manner we venerate
Sullivan, Wright, Mies and even Johnson.

sign me
sucked in by the seductive curves and blinded by the
brilliant reflections

http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
- It's My Yahoo! Get your own!