From:
Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:12:36 -0600

Hi:

I'm going to go ahead and summarize the information received on the Big Island of Hawaii now, instead of waiting longer because I don't want to run the risk of waiting to do it after we return from this trip (when so many other things will be competing for my attention, at which point the summary may not get done in a timely manner).  Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond.

1. There are a couple of restuarants in Kona, on Alii Drive, that I like. One is
Thai, and the other is Indonesian. I don't remember their names, but just walk
down the street and you'll find them. All the restuarants along the South Kohala coast are in resorts. They tend to be expensive but accomodating. Hawaiian food is pretty good, GF-wise, except for one
thing: soy sauce. All soy sauce used in Hawaii is Kikkoman, which is wheat-laden. So always ask about soy sauce. Plate lunches (with "two scoops rice") would be ideal for celiacs if it weren't for the soy sauce!

2. My brother lives in Hawi on the Kohala coast and I checked out a tiny health food store there.  They had Pamela's cookies, some GF pastas and some GF cereals but not much else.  If you are staying in the resorts the chefs should be pretty accomodating since they are generally well-trained.  Fish in Hawaii is delicious and many recipes will not use breading.  Also there are great fresh fruits to be savored which can be most cheaply obtained thru farmer's markets (there are a few up the hill in Waimea)  Also, if you do go up to Waimea I recommend a little lunch place called "The Little Juice Shack" (in the Parker Ranch shopping center) which has fresh squeezed juices, soups (made there so you can ask about ingredients) and lunch meats and cheeses for bring-your-own bread sandwiches.

3. We travelled to the big island last February.  Merrimans, 30 min. from Kona,  restaurant was fabulous, just call ahead and speak to the chef.  Also, we stayed at the Orchid at Mauna Lani, and they were incredible.  Again, call ahead and talk to the executive chef.

4.  We have been having great success with the Roy's chain of fine restaurants on the other islands. They keep our stuff on file, so we get a custom menu when we show up. There is a Roy's up at Waikoloa, but that is north of Kailua-Kona.

5.  *I accidentally deleted some of the following message, but the main part from a person with relatives from Hawaii was:  LAU LAU is fish and pork and/or chicken seasoned with salt wrapped in taro leaves.
KALUA PORK is shredded pork seasoned with salt and LOMI LOMI SALMON is served with tomatoes, onion, salt cured fish with rice.

I look forward to eating traditional and local food.  Should I have some good info. upon return, I shall certainly share it with the LISTSERV membership.

-Laurie