From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:53:44 -0700

Several people asked that I post Sen. George
Allen's address, it is:

Allen, George  (R - VA)
204 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-4024
http://allen.senate.gov/email.html

here is the from him I posted before:

Dear Kathryn:

        Thank you for contacting me with your views
regarding the Food Allergen
Consumer Protection Act, S. 2499.  I appreciate
your sharing your opinions
with me and I value your input.

        As you may be aware, this legislation would
require manufacturers to
label foods containing a "known allergen,"
whether or not the inclusion of
that ingredient was intentional or unintentional.

These types of
allergens include milk, eggs, fish, shellfish,
tree nuts, wheat, peanuts,
and soybeans.  Additionally, any product that is
a derivative of the known
allergens would also be included in the
requirement.  Other grains
containing gluten would also be noted on the food

label.  This bill
includes spices, flavorings, colorings, or
incidental additives that are
or contain a known food allergen.

Agencies such as the Food and Drug
Administration, specifically
established to review such complex issues as food

labeling, already have
the authority to address such concerns, and
regularly update and revise
food labels to take advantage of the latest
scientific knowledge.
Currently, this bill is before the Committee on
Health, Education, Labor
and Pensions, of which I am not a member.  Please

know that I will keep
your views foremost in mind should legislation
dealing with FDA food
labeling come before the full Senate.

Once again, I appreciate you alerting me to this
matter and please do not
hesitate to contact me again about issues
important to you.  As we strive
to protect our nation's cherished freedoms while
embracing new
opportunities for all Americans, please know that

I consider it a high
honor and privilege to work for you in the United

States Senate.

With warm regards, I remain

Sincerely,

George Allen