THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:26:40 EDT
From:   Tia West <[log in to unmask]>

 I take 120 mg. per
day.  I don't have my recent labs right now but suspect some of my problems
may
be due to low levels of Thyroid.

Some of us tend to blame everything on our thyroid problem.  And some of us
are right about that.

I think anything you mentioned could be caused by low thyroid.  My relatively
conservative doctor says thyroid symptoms usually resolve on 2-4 grains.
Under that scenario you are not on a high dose yet.  Historically, when they went
from symptoms, they gave about 3 times as high a dosage as they do today.  3
grains was a starting point because it took that much to affect the metabolism
as measured by the BMR test.  This actually measured metabolism, and as such
was a good  measure of thyroid output as long as someone wasn't excited
because of the test.  That would create a false negative.

Adrenal problems go along with thyroid problems, and there could be some
component of that too.

Have you taken your temperature with a glass thermometer to see if your temp
is what it should be?  What are your pulse and blood pressure?  You should
look at these three factors whenever on thyroid meds.  Temps should be normal,
and your pulse and blood pressure should be normalized.

Skipper