THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:12:53 -0400
From: "Skipper Beers" <[log in to unmask]>

> Furthermore, for those hypothyroid people who also have hypoglycemia,
perhaps
> honey is an acceptable sweetener.

Honey gives the same insulin response as caloric sweeteners.  This is
measurable in postprandial blood glucose determinations made with a home
glucometer.  This is how postprandial hypoglycemia is measured, if present.
Honey AND caloric sweeteners such as sugar are easily and quickly absorbed.
Honey and caloric sweeteners have similar caloric value.

Honey has other microconstituents.  These constituents do not affect caloric
value or postprandial glucose response.  These constituents are generally
regarded as "good".  Honey is mostly sugars.

I feel that this discussion has entered the domain of belief or politics..
I personally have nothing against honey or other home grown and home
processed products.  My family going back to the  greatgrandfather were all
apiarists (beekeepers for business).  It was so to speak a family business.
Honey was processed in the basement with separation equipment, and the house
had the heavy acrid odor.  Other agricultural food products were raised,
processed, and sold.  There were no preservatives used, but sterile
procedure was used on certain products to keep the spoilage down.  Now there
are preservatives available to prevent such spoilage, to reach a greater
market and achieve better agricultural efficiency.  Almost all "natural"
products are processed.  Meat was smoked, salted,  or eaten immediately.

My exposure and growth on such foods has not prevented two breast cancers, a
rare terminal lung disease, central nervous system narcolepsy, atrial
fibrillation beginning in childhood and other ailments. The homespun healthy
diet did not prevent the demise of my grandmother of ovarian cancer at 27
yrs.  It did not prevent the systemic rheumatoid arthritis of my siblings,
father, and
grandfather.  It did not prevent diabetes or mental illness.  This
recitation by no means proves the point because it does not meet the
standards.  This has nothing to do with the "goodness" of honey.  Honey
and other "natural" food is a commodity which my family supported
themselves with. Most folks enjoy the taste and texture of honey and
other home grown products.  They are gourmet foods.

But the fact remains, as far as the glycemic response honey equals other
caloricsweeteners. This was the original discussion to my knowledge.

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]