THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:06:30 EDT
[log in to unmask] wrote
> > >  Metabolically eating honey and sugar has the same effect.

Strayze <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>  I believe that the statement "metabolically" means rapid uptake in the
blood
>  and consequent insulin release.  Sugar presumably means table sugar.  I'm
>  unaware of sugar company propaganda, but I am aware of a certain fear of
>  sugar in some circles.

My opinion is as a general rule healthy food that is natural is better than
the processed alternative.  Table sugar generally has little nutritional
value.  Processed flour is the same, except for the enriched vitamins they
add back.  They take out all the nutrition and because Franklin Roosevelt was
president, were eventually required by law to put some nutrients back in.
They werent' smart enough to put back in the same ones that were lost, like
magnesium, but flour today has nutritional value because of a law passed
during Roosevelt's social engineering as president.  If the manufacturers and
food scientists cared about our health, flour would never have been sold as a
completely non nutritional food, yet it was.

I know I read that there's no difference between eating honey and table
sugar.  Yet, when one searches they can find many trace elements in honey
that are important to health.  But you never see it on the label.  I have
noticed with many healthy foods, the reason it's healthy tends not to be on
the label.

Good nutrition is important to hypothryoid people.  If we have a choice
between sweeteners, one's healthier than the other we should choose the
healthier one.  We should know that we need Vitamin A and that if we try to
get it from vegetables, it's not uncommon for us to have problems converting
beta carotene into Vitamin A so perhaps we should consider getting it from
meat.  Particularly beef liver which is one of the best sources for it.
According to Langer (Solved the Riddle of Illness and A Pocket Guide to
Natural Health) Vitamin A contributes to the secretion of thyroid hormone and
a deficiency of it can be a nutritional cause of hypothyroidism.   We need
selenium, Vitamin C, vitamin E, and the vitamin B complex.  Deficiencies of
any of these can be nutritional causes of hypothryoidism, and when we are
hypothryoid we don't always absorb and use vitamins as a normal person would.

So here's one source that tells how the metabolic effect of honey is
different from table sugar.  At least those reporting here don't think the
insulin requirement is the same.  I don't think the metabolic effect is the
same as with processed foods.  And it has lots of trace minerals and
vitamins, amino acids, and some substances that can't be identified yet.   I
think nutritionally it's a nice component of a healthy diet.

From "http://www.kohala.net/bees/composition.html"
<quote>
Table sugar (sucrose) is absorbed into the body via osmosis. This means that
the sugar enters the bloodstream as quickly as it can pass through membranes.

Because of the type of sugars that honey consists of, absorbtion of honey by
the body occurs through a mechanism called "active transport." While
something "active " may seem like it should be quicker than the passive
mechanism of osmosis, the opposite is true...

Because the sugars in Honey depend upon a carrier to move them across the
membrane barrier, they are limited by how much carrier is avaialble. This
means that there is less of a "rush" of sugar to the body with honey i.e. ...

Less of a strain on the pancreas to suddenly produce large ammounts of
insulin...
Less likelihood of large peaks and valleys in the insulin /sugar curve...
Less liklihood of hypoglycemia
*Lecture by Dr. James Carpenter, University of Hawaii At Hilo

Honey is also the last product of bees to react to pollutants in an
environment. For this reason, some scientists are using bees as environmental
indicators.
<end quote>

Skipper Beers

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!