From:
Adrienne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:31:34 -0400

I sent the following letter to wpvi news Philadelphia .,  Perhaps if everyone sent it to their local news station, more people would let their representatives know how important it is that it be passed.

July 31, the Food Allergen Bill goes to sub committee.  The food industry has swarmed Capital Hill to kill the bill.
This bill must pass as written to protect the health and well being of millions of people who suffer from food allergies and intolerances.
For everyone who suffers severe consequences from ingesting certain foods, it is critical to have full disclosure of what is in the foods we purchase and eat.  Without labeling requirements, we (people who suffer from celiac disease),  must telephone or write the food companies on literally every food we find,  and not just the obvious things that indicate that starch is added, but even things like plain chicken (injected with broth laced with wheat or barley and not disclosed), or even chocolate (some brands are "dusted" with flour but the label will just say chocolate.
The food companies seem to think that people with food allergies can learn to navigate the system and avoid problems..stay at home and grow and process our own food????  This isn't so different than years ago when people in wheelchairs were told to stay home, is it?
What this bill would provide is the opportunity to pursue our lives with less anxiety and frustration to determine what foods are safe to eat.
I have seen nothing on the news about this bill, and have read nothing in the newspapers.  Perhaps if you did a story before it July 31, this bill would be brought to the attention of everyone who suffers from allergies and if you mentioned the websites of the senators , people would be able to let them know that this needs to be passed.

Thank you.

A. Meisel