Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 21:34:54 -0700

Hi All--

I have two more summaries to post, but this was the
easiest, so my first. My original request was for
information about any gf taco seasoning mixes or
recipes for a taco seasoning. Thanks to all who
replied and shared their recipes and
suggestions/recommendations! There was some
conflicting information (see below), so please confirm
gf status of all products with the manufacturer.

10 people recommended McCormicks
7 people recommended Old El Paso
1 person suggested Williams
1 person suggested Ortega
1 person uses Walmart brand

Thanks, again. Cheers--Ayn/Alabama
_____
2 tablespoons cornflower or sweet rice (or 1 Tbs.
cornstarch)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tsp/cube beef bouillon (or 1 c. beef broth instead
of water below)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
dash onion powder
Salt to taste

Brown 1# of ground beef, drain.
Add mixture above, along w/ 1 c. water.
Taste, adjust salt.
Cook until thick.
_____
Mix 1/4 c dried, minced onion flakes
4 tsp cornstarch
3 tbsp salt (I always cut back or skip this)
4 tbsp chili powder
3 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp oregano
3 tsp hot crushed red pepper
2 tsp beef bouillion  Energy Foods
Store in tight container.
To use mix:
Brown 1 lb ground beef. Add 2 tbsp taco mix, stir in
3/4 c water & simmer 15-20 min. Makes 10-12 tacos
_____
To one pound of meat, add 1.5 TB of chili powder, 1tsp
salt, 1 tsp
cumin, and as uch garlic as you want :)
_____
I use Old El Paso taco seasoning without any
reactions. Matter of fact, used it tonight with the
beef. I think it's very good.

But I have never called the manufacturer to verify GF.
Nor do I have any affiliation with [whoever] the
manufacturer is.
_____
I use a mixture of Cumin, Garlic, Onion, and tomato
sauce.  I don't have an exact recipe, just make it to
taste.
_____
to one pound browned ground beef and about 3/4 cup
water, add:

2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cumin

Be careful w/ the cumin!  This is what gives the taco
seasoning "that" flavor -- but too much, and you and
your family will be drinking gallons and gallons of
milk trying to put out the fire!  If your family
doesn't like too much spice, go very easy on the
cumin.
_____
We use Great Value taco seasoning from Wal-Mart
_____
1 tablespoon potato starch
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
Add spices and seasonings and 3/4 cup water to 1 pound
browned ground meat. Bring to boil, cook 7-10 min.,
stirring occasionally. Makes filling for 12 tacos
(about 3 Tbsp) each.
_____
Bearitos is GF and now, finally, so is Ortega, Old El
Paso IS NOT GF!
_____
1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1/4 cup gf flour
1 TBL chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2-1 tsp onion powder
1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup water (for more nutritious tacos use one can of
pureed gf vegetable broth)

Brown the meat and drain (if necessary).

In a small bowl, combine water/broth with the flour,
chili powder, salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
Stir until the the flour is dissolved. Add the
seasoned mixture to the meat in a skillet over medium
heat. Mix well with a spoon or spatula, and stir as it
cooks.  Additional water may be needed. Heat for 3-5
minutes, until liquid is absorbed into the meat.
_____
Schillings taco seasoning mix is gluten -free and if
you have a Hy-vee nearby, their store brand is gluten
free - good luck!!!