From:
Joanne Weidner. <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:34:00 EST

Finally!  My summary regarding cracks in the ends of my fingertips.  I
received so many responses.  Almost everyone said that it is due to a lack of
B vitamins and Essential Fatty Acids (like Flax Seed Oil).  Amazingly so,
about a month before getting these cracks, I ran out of both of the above.  I
have been back on B's and flax seed oil every day, and no more cracks!  Many
of us get these, and unfortunately, a lot of you choose to believe that there
is no solution other than putting cream and bandaids on every night.  Tisk,
tisk.  There is always a reason to something like this, and usually one due
to nutritional deficiencies.  I always prefer to find out the source of the
problem, not just treat it.  The following were things people use to make the
cracks go away once they appear: Vaseline, Crisco, Crazy Glue (yes!), Liquid
Glue, OTC "Crack-it" (apparently made just for this!), bandaids with
Neosporin triple sporin (many responses said this was the best product to
use), Aquafour, Vitamain A, taking 2 One-a-Day vitamins per day instead of
one (vitamin deficiency theory), Nuskin OTC medicine made just for this,
cream from the store Restoration Hardware called "No Crack," and Hemp Cream
from "The Body Shop."  WOW!!!!!  Also, others said that when they get these,
they completely stop eating citrus of any kind (?), check the lining of their
rubber gloves to wash dishes to make sure allergies don't exist to the powder
inside (buy non powder ones), and finally, someone said to get blood glucose
levels checked for diabetes.  Those are some great responses, and many from
non-celiacs, who get these too.  They are more prone during cold weather.  I
feel strongly, as stated before, that they are due to a nutritional
deficiency, so I am back on B vitamins (I take the "B-1 Bombers from
drpinkus.com - wonderful and gf), and Flax Seed Oil every day - about two
tablespoons worth.  And, if they ever reappear, I will try the Hemp Cream
from the Body Shop (the person said that those employees are very
knowledgeable about balancing out the skin and that this cream really works),
or the Neosporin Triple.  Good Luck to everyone!  Let's try to stop these
painful, nasty, ugly problems from happening for good!  Joanne