From:
Theresa Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:27:24 -0500

Thanks to everyone who answered my inquiry about eating gf Dim Sum.

The majority of respondents thought it was very difficult if not
impossible to eat gf Dim Sum (several people said flat out "no, don't
eat it"). A few people however, did think it possible.

Some suggestions were:

--Bring a chinese language restaurant card
--There are shared tongs/scissors/serving utensils and probably shared
boiling water (so probably too good a chance for contamination)
--Call in advance
--Know the dishes and bring your own sauce
--One person said that most of the wrappers were from rice flour but
others thought that the wrappers could have other flours in them

Several people said that most soy sauce is not gf (bring your own).
Others said that MSG (monosodium glutamate) was not gf. I was not aware
of the MSG not being gf..in most of my books and online sources it has
said it is an ingredient to check before eating. I looked up what it
actually *is* in my Joy of Cooking--"Monosodium Glutamate-A concentrated
form of sodium that is usually extracted from grains or beets." I always
ask for food without it, but in certain cases it might be gf.

It may be a while before I try dim sum. It looks like a fairly difficult
meal to eat out and I am not sure it is worth it to me.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Theresa in NC