From:
J Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:19:16 +0000

Hi, all!  I am forwarding a list of GF products that I received via e-mail
that these products also apply to Vons, Dominick's, Randalls, Tom
Thumb and Genuardi's (SELECT only).  I attempted to send this as one post
earlier but it was too long so it will be in four parts.  For those who
would like to know what my questions were, my  original post is below.

Jane in OH

on 6/19/02 5:29 PM, Web Comments at [log in to unmask] wrote:

>We received your request for information on Safeway private label products
>for
>those troubled with gluten-induced enteropathy or celiac-sprue.  While we
>are
>somewhat familiar with the malabsorption syndrome, we do not presume to
>prescribe any of our products for any specific diet(s).  On the other hand,
>we
>are happy to provide what information we have which might be useful to you.
>
>For your information, we have over 5,000 different products in our Safeway
>private label product line and we do not have a listing of ingredients
>available for the general public on each of these items so we are not able
>comply with all requests.  We do suggest that you read carefully all
>ingredient labeling information on products that you purchase.
>
>We can tell you that our frozen vegetables and fruits should be okay since
>they do not contain any other ingredients but the vegetables or fruits
>themselves.  The exception to this would be our frozen vegetables in sauce.
>
>Another group of items that would be acceptable are non-breaded seafood
>items,
>poultry that has not been breaded or stuffed, and our Lucerne/SELECT eggs.
>In
>other words, all fresh meats, seafood's and eggs.
>
>Acceptable dairy items would be all fluid milks, except chocolate milk when
>starch is added and the source is not listed, cottage cheese and natural
>cheeses.  Most bakery items we believe would not be acceptable for use in
>this
>diet.

TO BE CONTINUED ... ;>