THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K.M. Neves" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:21:15 -0400
Hi!  I'm a newbie, so please pardon me if this has been asked before.

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid in 1988 and am currently taking .112
Synthroid.  All of my subsequent T3, T4 and TSH results have been normal
but, in spite of a low-fat vegetarian diet, I have continued to gain large
amounts of weight.  This seems to occur incrementally.  I will level off
for a period of months (or, at most, 2 years) and suddenly gain around 30
pounds.  Also, since my diagnosis, I have suffered with extremely painful
cystic acne as well as extremely high cholesterol and hirsutism or hair
growth (especially on my chin). Has anyone else experienced similar
symptoms? Doctors have basically told me I'm nuts and that these other
symptoms have nothing to do with my thyroid.

Any advice or shared experience would be most welcome!  Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Karen Neves