THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anne Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:37:10 EDT
> I need anyone who has had treatment for Grave's Eye Disease to respond
> to the list with feedback.  I am getting ready to have radiation and I
> am not sure I am making the right decision.
>  Cheryl in Tulsa, OK

I was diagnosed with Grave's disease about three years ago, and had
both exophthalmous and hyperthyroidism. I am lucky because both have
cleared up. I took tapazole for about two years for the high thyroid
condition and had no treatment for my eye disease, as it was not
very severe.

I assume you mean you are having your thyroid irradiated. As I understand
it, this will have no effect on your eye disease. The eye problem and
the thyroid are two facets of Grave's disease but they are completely
independent of each other. Part of the confusion is caused by the
fact that high thyroid levels can cause raised lids, which gives the
impression that your eyes are protruding (and often they may be,
if the source of your high thyroid is Grave's disease). You can have
both raised lids and protruding eyes, but they are separate
conditions. If you are being told that radiating your thyroid will
correct your eye disease, I think that is incorrect. I have been
seeing a neuro-ophthalmologist for my condition and this is what he
has told me, and what I have confirmed in extensive readings.

                Anne
--
                    [x]  None of the Above
Anne Albright / [log in to unmask] / (919) 677-8000 x6323 / R4335