THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nathan G <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 16:45:39 -0400
On 23 May 2005, at 2:42 PM, Edith Wallace Andrews wrote:

> My questions today relate to high Armour thyroid doses seeming to be
> reported only by men.   Does anyone know if dosage is gender related?

I switched from ~135 MCG Synthroid/Eltroxin to 1.5 grains Armour about
seven weeks ago. The difference after a week was noticeable but less
than spectacular, and I feel now that symptoms may have returned a bit.
Because I'm traveling out of the country, I haven't seen my blood test
results, but I can't wait to check them since I am having a tough
decision, based solely on my symptoms, whether to increase my Armour
dose or to work in adrenal support.

> Nathan G's comment about the origins of Hashimoto's being different
> from that of pituitary gland tumors was news to me.

I was confirming what seemed natural to me. There are several causes of
hypothyroidism: one is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is when the
immune system creates antibodies that attack thyroid tissue; another,
more exotic, is a tumor on the pituitary gland. If a person has high
antibodies and hypothyroidism, it can be diagnosed as Hashimoto's
Thyroiditis. A tumor on the pituitary gland has nothing to do with the
immune system and therefore doesn't cause Hashimoto's.

> I am confused about just when Hashimotos does occur.  In other words,
> if one carries the anti-thyroid gene, it  would be present at birth,
> right?

This is actually the first I've heard about an anti-thyroid gene. What
is it? I know there are certain "autoimmune genes," such as HLA-DQ2 and
HLA-DQ8 (I found out that I carry DQ8 but not DQ2 when I was tested for
Celiac Disease).

NG

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!