THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
baron chat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 13:39:07 -0700
On May 23, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Edith Wallace Andrews wrote:

> Dear Listers and Nathan G.   My questions today relate to high Armour
> thyroid doses seeming to be reported only by men.   Does anyone
> know if
> dosage is gender related?  I'd appreciate hearing about women's
> experiences
> with high thyroid doses, say well above 3 grains of Armour daily,
> and with
> what results.

dosage isn't gender-related, but most doctors are very reluctant to
prescribe more than a small-to-medium dose of thyroid hormone for
fear of sending you hyper, EVEN IF YOU ARE STILL SUFFERING
HYPOTHYROID SYMPTOMS.  this is because most of them judge your
condition by looking at your tsh score, which is, as my osteopath
(who is female) puts, 'useless rubbish'.  it really is the doctor who
makes the difference, but you have to find that doctor first.  that
was the hardest part.

by the way, i've read armour doses going all the way up to 22 grains,
so 3 grains ain't all that much.  however, many family doctors and
endocrinologists would disagree.  in fact, my thyroid was diagnosed
as 'in really good shape' on just half a grain of armour, for a
looooooooong time, even when physically i was in hell, simply because
it moved my tsh from 39 to 1.4.

baron

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!