THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:36:35 EST
In a message dated 12/14/2003 7:32:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
>Has anyone with Hashimotos lost weight without being on a heavy
>meat protein diet?  Can I hear some success stories?
If I can call my story a "success story," then it can only be considered a
story-in-progress.

My Hashimoto's occurred in three major stages viz. weight gain:  in 1981-82,
I gained 30 lbs (from 170-185 range to 205-215 range); in 1989-90, another 15
pounds (up to a range of 220 to 229 lbs.); and in '97, when I was finally
diagnosed as being hypo (and with Hashimoto's), up to 245 lbs (no range up or down
at that point).

When I was put on Synthroid in '97, I lost 8 lbs. fairly quickly, but no
more.  Those eight pounds I gained back (equally quickly) five months later.  The
same eight pounds came off in the spring of '99, when I was put on 25 mcg. of
Cytomel in addition to the Synthroid.  When I went to an endo at the U. of
Pennsylvania Med. Ctr. (big mistake!), he put me on Synthroid, ONLY, and the
eight pounds came back quickly, along with a raft of other symptoms.

So I stayed at 244 for a while. (I would hasten to add that I had a fairly
rigourous and regular exercise regimen going for all this time).

In June, '01, I went on the Wilson's protocol (sustained-release T3 made by a
compounding pharmacy).  Many of my hypo symptoms (sleep apnea,
costochondritis, edema in the legs, dry skin on my feet) went way.

However, by that time I was insulin-resistant, and was getting hunger pangs
all the time, which made it hard to lose any weight.  The doc (Doc Don, bless
him!) suggested Glucophage (Metformin) in October, '01.  I lost ten pounds
quickly, but gained six back a few months later (over X-mas) to go back to 240.
Then I started to see a nutritionist, whom I still see today.

Along with the glucophage, and some Chromium (polynicotinate) and
5-Hydroxy-Tryptophan, I 've been able to avoid most of the mad eating binges that I've
had.  Along with my Tae Kwon Do regimen, I've been able to take off (and keep
off) 20-25 lbs. off the last two years (I hover  between 220 and 225 lbs.)  Only
30 more to go!

Sorry this is so long.

Edward Reisman

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]