THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deborah Heyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:24:26 -0500

> I am 21 years old, diagnosed with hashimotos thyroiditis 1.5 years ago. I was
>
> started on 25mcg then it was raised and I currently take 88mcg of Synthroid,
> Every 6 monthes I get my blood drawn and my TSH is high again. A month ago my
>
> TSH level was 4.6 the normal values in this hospital were 0.4-4.7 and my
> endo. doctor kept me at the same dose of Synthroid. A year ago my antibodies
> were also high. Thats all thats ever been checked. Anyhow Im always tired..

The goal should not be getting your TSH in the "normal" range, but rather
getting to to feel well.  With Hashimotos, you want to keep your TSH as
low as possible.  As long as your pituitary is cranking out TSH, your
thyroid is going to try to respond and make T4.  In doing so, your thyroid
is producing the proteins that your immune system has mistakenly decided
are not supposed to be there.  Thus, your autoimmune symptoms will not go
away until you get your thyroid to stop making hormone.  My endo allows me
to keep my TSH below 1, as long as I'm not experiencing HYPER symptoms,
which I haven't, and I feel much better.  A few months ago my TSH crept up
to 2 and my hair started falling out and I became really tired again.
Both are symptoms of an autoimmune problem.  We upped my levathroid,
and now I'm feeling better.  So, ask your endo to try
increasing your meds, and if they won't, find another doctor who will.

Debby

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!