THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chris Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:02:31 -0500
>reverse her symptoms. She has also had a consistent low basal body temp
>(average around 95.7 degrees farenheit). All of this research was found in
>the New England Journal of Medicine.

The low body temperature is a definite indication of something not right
with the thyroid levels and/or adrenal fatique.  Probably both, as many
hypothyroid people have both.

I have a pituitary problem as well which is preventing my thyroid and other
hormones from working as they should.  This is still under investigation,
as it took me a while to find a doctor who realized it was possible for
someone to have no TSH and not be hyperthyroid.  My TSH could not be
detected, and my thyroid hormones were low.  (I am being investigated for a
pituitary t
umor because my vision is very poor and have little peripheral
vision.....which apparently might be another tumor symptom).  The
endocrinologist said that if there is a tumor affecting vision, it will
have to come out.  Otherwise it will likely remain there (assuming it is
not growing) and I will continue to be treated with the necessary hormones).

Your wife could have a higher than normal reverse T3 (which is useless to
the body) and will not show abnormal in blood tests unless they check
spesifically for reverse T3.  This is known as Wilson's syndrome and is
often attributed to by stress and can be cleared with timed released T3. To
my knowlege Cytomel is not time release (shorter acting) and sometimes has
more side effects.  In Wilsons however, a person typically does notice some
improvement on either Armour or Synthroid, energy wise, for at short time
at least.....but I am not sure about all cases.  Now
 I am being treated
with time release T3 for Wilson's, and will likely soon switch to Armour to
help get the T4 level up.

Best of luck to you and your wife!!!

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.