THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:57:57 +0800
From: "Kyra Kitts" <[log in to unmask]>

I used to be on 50 mcg Synthroid and
> experience these same effects. Go figure...

While a lot may be said about optimum dosage, it is best to start at the
lowest tolerable dose. Barne's reports success even in post heart attack
patients by starting at half a grain of thyroid. Even 50 mcgs. of
thyroxine (a very low dose) could give you hyper symptoms if you are
just starting out. Bringing the blood levels of the hormones back to
normal doesn't mean that the tissues are able to assimilate the improved
metabolism. The body needs to adjust to the new metabolic efficiency on
a gradual basis. Remember for any drug the recommended dosage is based
on studies and trials that gives measurable outcomes; otherwise, these
drugs may not pass certification. This dosage typically is quite high. A
good indicator of response is resolution of symptoms. A dosage that
doesn't negate the control of the pituitary on the TSH is a good
predictor of trend.

> After all that, here's my question. In my place, would
> you consider a complete thyroidectomy, leaving at
> least one parathyroid intact so as to prevent the
> possibility of calcium deficiency-related seizures,
> numbness, and twitching?

It all depends on the pathology of the nodule and the age. In seniors,
one needs to  factor the onset and course of the possibilities versus
the life-expectancy for that particular age. It is worthless to breed
malignancy when there is so many years ahead and likewise useless to cut
when the normal course of the possibilities of malignancy outlives the
life expectancy of a particular age group.

Functional and autonomous nodules generally do not turn malignant but
are removed due to the toxic effects. Thyroid cancers are not limited to
one type depending on invasiveness. Those that take the vascular route
in spreading are the aggresive ones while those that spread via
lymphatics are not as aggresive. Even Hashimoto's could be a breeding
ground for some cancers.

My advise is to discuss this with the Pathologist and your physician.
Together you can be well briefed in your decision.

Greg

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.