THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Diane Kuhns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:58:43 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/02 12:56:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Gail, please explain the anemia even though the ferritin
> (iron) level is high.  My hemoglobin was 133 with a ref.
> 120 - 160. Would this be slightly anemic? Thanks
> Phyllis

If you are still menstruating your hemoglobin is fine.  High Ferritin has
been associated with heart disease problems.  I know there has been a study
of some individuals who have too much Ferritin in their system.  The extra
Ferritin actually damages the heart.  They control the amount of Ferritin by
regularly donating blood.   I cannot as I take too many meds.

I cannot remember the name of this genetic abnormality.  My problems are
familial, (My paternal grandmother) as I have Type III familial
hyperprotenemia an unusually high amount of both total cholesterol and
trigycerides.   I am on a very heart healthy, lower carbohydrate, good fat
diet and take 1000 mg of time released Niacin every night along with a
triglyeride lowering tablet called Tricor.  This plus HRT keeps my
cholesterol within normal range.

Gail K

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.