THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 16:40:48 EDT
> Phyllis Davidson <[log in to unmask]>

>  He wants me to take 15 mgs of DHEA daily and then decrease
>  another grain of Thyroid prior to repeat testing.
DHEA turns into cortisol, estrogen, testosterone and perhaps other hormones
as needed.  So, if your DHEA is low, it's likely you are low on other
hormones too, adding DHEA may or may not correct this.  In the labs you gave
I didn't see you list the other hormones so I assume they weren't tested.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything though as I have
>  recently had cataracts indicated to me , possibly
>  congenital, and stated symptoms  A connection? I think
>  at 53 I shouldn't even have cataracts yet let alone then.

You use the word congenital, which can either mean inherited or just that you
had it at birth.  At least you didn't use the word "familial" which
frequently means I inherited it from my mother and so it doesn't have to have
a cause.  People get touchy if they say they have a "familial condition" and
you thy to tell them the root cause may be low thyroid.

In my recent reading to do something about my dry, sore eyes a few sources
claim to increase blood flow to the eyes and this prevents cataracts.  Well,
hypothyroidism causes poor blood flow.

Skipper Beers

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!