THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:36:40 -0500
> >You are entitled to a copy of your results.
>
> Is there a law about this???   My doc refuses to give me copies of my
labs.

Yes there are state laws regarding your right for your posession of your
medical records.  They are yours.  Despite the law many doctors do not want
to share what is yours with you.  The assumption is that the doctor is
knowledgeable and the patient is not.  That assumption is wrong and leads to
medical errors for there are no checks and balances and controls.  You as
the patient are in control.

The incredibly dense doctors I must armwrestle my records from are taken out
of the loop, either by finding, if available, another less obtuse doctor ,
or by writing directly to the diagnostic lab for my results.  Each and
everytime I now get any blood drawn, I have a form with the date of the
draw, doctor, my address, my fax, etc. to mail to the lab.  I do this with
older results, taking my cues from the doctor's bills.  The results come a
few days later.  It saves all the hassle with the incredible chaos of
multiple staff in the doctor's office.

Another option is to get the results when you visit that doctor and he has
your folder right there.  No excuses about the waste of his time!   Keep
focused while you are there so you won't be slid out the door before you get
all of your requests in and your concerns dealt with.  It's your health you
are buying, not your doctor's ego.

If I had not kept such medical records, I would be in far worse health than
I am today.

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!